Attend a Volunteer Information Session
to get started!
Sessions are held on the fourth Wednesday of every month at 5PM at Dog Services
We are able to provide our “guests” with a high quality of life due in large part to the efforts of many dedicated volunteers. Because most of the dogs who come through our doors are strays—and we have no history on them— safety is our number one priority. From our housekeeping team to working with dogs or helping out in the offices, we want to make the most of your unique skills! The habits our volunteers teach the dogs are critical skills that help them get adopted and then stay in their new home – truly life-saving work.
To volunteer at Dog Services, you must:
- pass a background check
- be prepared to volunteer at least 8 hours per month for 6 months
- attend orientation/training classes and follow instructions
- commit to regularly scheduled volunteer times
- be able to squat, bend, twist, lift and stand for long periods of time when working directly with animal care
- work well with people – all volunteer positions work directly with staff, other volunteers and the public
- comply with Clackamas County ordinances
- 8-15-year-olds can volunteer with a parent present.
- 16-17-year-olds may volunteer with parent approval.
- You must be at least 18 years old to handle dogs.
Housekeeping: Help keep a clean, healthy environment for our guests with tasks such as cleaning, laundry, dishes, stuffing Kongs, poop patrol and more.
Shifts available Mon-Sat, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sit. Stay. Read: Volunteers sit outside a dog’s kennel and simply read aloud. This program is for all ages but is encouraged for children who want to work on their reading skills in front of a nonjudgmental audience.
Shifts available Mon-Sat, 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Potty Walking: Rain or shine, dogs appreciate the chance to get outside to relieve themselves.
Shifts available Mon-Sat mornings and afternoons.
S.E.T. Team: Want to learn more about dogs? Our S.E.T. Team works to maintain the mental and emotional health of dogs through Socialization, Enrichment and Training. Continual volunteer training is required.
Shifts available Mon-Sat 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Admin Support: It takes a lot of organization to keep Dog Services running, and we can always use help with filing, data input, processing mail and follow-up phone calls.
Internships: Looking for somewhere to intern this semester? We are happy to help you sharpen your workplace skills!
Please contact Sarah Holcombe at email@example.com or 503-722-6729 to learn more about getting involved.